There are so many traumatizing experiences that one can go through in a life time, but the difference between Mr. A and Mr. B is their reaction to the same experience. Stress is a common topic for everyone, most people experience it on a daily basis and it becomes a way of life. Some people say they perform better under stress, they forget the negative effect it can have on their health, and social life.
Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances. It is the body’s way of rising to any kind of challenge or demand. When threatened, the nervous system reacts by releasing a flood of stress hormones, like adrenaline and cortisol, which rouse the body for emergency action.
There is distress (negative stress), and eustress (positive or good kind of stress). Eustress makes you active and perform tasks effectively. Distress comes in place when you are overworked without rest and faced with multiple tasks to complete.Most people experiencing stress, don’t even realise they are actually going through it. Signs of stress (distress or stress overload)
- anxiety or panic attack
- problems sleeping
- sadness or depression
- back pain
- headaches, fatigue
- insomnia, trouble sleeping
- high blood pressure
- upset stomach
- relationship problems
- shortness of breath etc.
Lots of people experience some, or all of this regularly, although it differs in everyone. Mismanagement of one’s stress can have a very negative effect on him or her, some include
- stress can bring out or worsen disease
- stress can lead to weight gain
- stress causes wrinkles and makes you look older
- stress weakens your immune system
- stress can lead to heart problems
- stress makes it difficult to control your emotions
- stress can affect the way food moves around in your body leading to constipation, diarrhea etc.
- stress can cause tight muscles, and body ache.
There are so many negative effects of stress, but no one deserves to go through so much pain and worries. There are ways in which one can handle or get rid of stress.
Tips For Dealing With Stress.
- Eat well balanced meals
- Sleep often, get enough rest
- Start by solving little problems, one step at a time.
- Don’t worry about things you have no control over.
- Try resolving conflicts with other people
- Set realistic goals and targets
- Do not over schedule, know your limits
- Excercise often to relax your nerves
- Just pause, don’t be quick to react.
If you know someone, a friend, neighbour, family member or relative going through stress, be there for them. Take them out for a stroll,do something you both like, or atleast they like, encourage and assist them. That is the least you can do.😊